Replies
    Country
    United States
    Xfire
    hellreturn
    Clan
    -TB#

Minecraft

Anyone here playing minecraft on regular basis?

Replies
    Country
    Germany
    Xfire
    dssjonny
    Steam
    dssjonny
    Discord
    JoNny#4432
    Clan
    -TB#
    Meh
    - Sometimes..

Replies
    Country
    United States
    Clan
    -=PDP=-
    I moderate a server, so I tend to be on it pretty often, especially because its a great server.

Replies
    Country
    United States
    Xfire
    hellreturn
    Clan
    -TB#
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarhand View Post
    I moderate a server, so I tend to be on it pretty often, especially because its a great server.
    Since you moderate it.. QQ: Do u have appx idea how much memory minecraft uses for 20-30 players ? Does 100Mb/player rule applies? Could search it on Google but better to know from someone who has hand on experience directly

Replies
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Xfire
    iammuppet
    Clan
    TeamMuppet
    We have a minecraft server but it is not myself that runs it, I will post on our forums for the server owner to reply to you if you have not gathered the information beforehand, or pm him on here, fleshpulse

Cheers.

Replies
    Country
    United States
    Xfire
    hellreturn
    Clan
    -TB#
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmuppet View Post
    We have a minecraft server but it is not myself that runs it, I will post on our forums for the server owner to reply to you if you have not gathered the information beforehand, or pm him on here, fleshpulse

Cheers.
    Thanks mate! I PM'd him. More the info, more it's better.

Replies
    Country
    Norway
    Xfire
    fleshpulse
    Clan
    <=TM=>
    Hey there

The memory usage depends on mod and plugin setup, but an estimate of about 100MB/slot is fairly accurate assuming the players are not grouped together, but your milage will vary. With no players (and no initial heap) my test server sits at about 950MB, this is with 20 plugins, 2 mods (Mo' Creatures and RP2), with logging of all actions to sql and a high res online map. I run the main server with -Xms4G, setting the initial heap to 4GB and I have not been closely monitoring actual memory usage. Generally you specify the min and max heap size to the JVM on launch to improve garabage collection and performance.

Note that this is a development version of MCPC+, not craftbukkit or vanilla, so memory use will vary. A clean install of a bukkit server with 0 plugins and 0 users uses about 300-400MB.

With a moderate plugin setup you could probably get 20-30 in about 4GB. Certain plugins are memory hogs, like dynmap, anti-cheat and block logging. Especially while generating new chunks. Go with 6GB if you want to be comfortable with settings. You can also generate your world up to a border in advance to reduce resource use during play.

My main concerns have been the bandwidth usage and disk access. I would recommend setting up a sql database rather than using flat files.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions. For public servers people generally run bukkit or modded servers and not the vanilla from Mojang.
    Last edited by fleshpulse; 10-02-2013 at 19:52.

Replies
    Country
    Norway
    Xfire
    fleshpulse
    Clan
    <=TM=>
    Ah, I see the minecraft servers have been already running for a while I was under the assumption that you were just starting up.
    “A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila" -- Mitch Ratcliffe

Replies
    Country
    United States
    Xfire
    hellreturn
    Clan
    -TB#
    Quote Originally Posted by fleshpulse View Post
    Ah, I see the minecraft servers have been already running for a while I was under the assumption that you were just starting up.
    They are up since a while.. but I don't have extensive experience for minecraft so it's always better to ask if someone has one Thanks for the replies mate! I will get back to you if I got more Q's

Thanks!

Replies
    Country
    Argentina
    hello,what is the latest version of minecraft ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast