Replies
    Country
    United States
    Xfire
    hellreturn
    Clan
    -TB#
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    He's running 7 CoD4 servers, 2 ET servers, TS3 server there and still have free resources...
    It depends on how much slot each server is. If all servers are around 40 slots and are popular, he will run out of BW and users will see lag.

My Euro COD4 server in itself pushes around 4-8Mbp/s. If all his servers are full, players will see lag since he will be pushing his BW limits. ET is uses almost 2x BW then COD4.

Although each data centers tells 100Mbps/port, you never get that much in real time. If you get 80Mbps its good enough.

I have seen GSP's providing 64 slot in 15$. They also say they have resourced but then there resources come from 'swap' instead of 'RAM' and they also 'auto kill' any server which uses more then 30-40% CPU. I have seen many host don't even provide 128 hunkmegs. I have seen GSP's hosting 300-500 slots one 100MBps port Now they do make profit because there service is cheap and every time they get newbie admins to host with them because they 'cheap'.

It all depends how GSP's run there hosting. More or less you also need to consider, clients don't stay forever. There clan dies and they move on or sometimes there is big network failure or HD failure and they move on because they don't like few hours downtime or so once in a year. At that time you will end up paying more to keep your machine and then additional charges to fix things.

There overall margin is very less unless you start stacking servers on one machine.

Replies
    Dragon, yes in germany it`s no problem to rent a 50Euro machine with massiv ressources. But if somebody don`t have real linux experience it`s not the best idea to rent a (not managed) root server.

Replies
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Steam
    slim43
    Clan
    ^09MM
    when opening a server think what u like and what players like its players who make a server not the admin we supply the servers but we need people to play them bad admin server dies quickly

Replies
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Yeah u aint wrong, shogs is tht u?? lol

Replies
    Country
    Poland
    Xfire
    dragonji
    Steam
    dragonji
    Clan
    sKy-e
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
    It depends on how much slot each server is. If all servers are around 40 slots and are popular, he will run out of BW and users will see lag.
    No, 40 slots would be too much. They aren't so big servers like =F|A='s All CoD4 servers are running Promod (20-26 slots) and two of them are for clan members only (war/train). ET servers aren't big too

Although each data centers tells 100Mbps/port
    How did you know? Ah, yes, you've a lot of servers

I have seen GSP's hosting 300-500 slots one 100MBps port Now they do make profit because there service is cheap and every time they get newbie admins to host with them because they 'cheap'.

BTW, I didn't say game-hosting companies are sh*t, but IMO data centers are more profitable, cause an admin can set up everything for his clan for a better price (eg. 1 big public server, 1 private ETPro, 1 TS/Ventrilo/Mumble, he don't have to "choke" all his bandwidth)

Clanpage || --------------------------------------------------------------------- || sKy.eSports Clan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123