Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Replies
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BossHK View Post
    Also make sure your hardware(esp. mouse) is 'calibrated' well. To make is short: http://fearless-assassins.com/forum/...wet-by-bosshk/
    Thanks Boss, I'll check that link when I get back home. At work now and they got it blocked I've read your tutorials before and spoke with you on youtube, you told me to use IRC, but I haven't. (my name wasn't hog either) In your latest, you mentioned playing on someone else's system and the hardware really holding you back. I feel like I've only slightly improved over the past year, and I play regularly. So I have hardware concerns too. My mouse is MX518. I play at 800dpi @ sensitivity 2. I've read about the negative acceleration over 400 or so, but I can't really tell. I still read players using 1000+ DPI.

Spamming the boards! testforecho's Avatar
    Replies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog View Post
    I've read about the negative acceleration over 400 or so, but I can't really tell. I still read players using 1000+ DPI.
    It depends on your mouse sens, resolution (r_mode) and fps. If you play with high sens and high resolution, and you get 125fps you won't probably have any negative accel issues. I play at 1680x1050 125fps and 2000 dpi and I don't have negative accel because my mouse sens is high.

I think 800dpi sould be safe, but you can test yourself if you have negative accel or not. Aim at some corner, with your mouse on the edge of your mousepad, move away really fast then go back slowly. If you are aiming at the same corner as before then you have no accel.

Replies
    Quote Originally Posted by testforecho View Post
    It depends on your mouse sens, resolution (r_mode) and fps. If you play with high sens and high resolution, and you get 125fps you won't probably have any negative accel issues. I play at 1680x1050 125fps and 2000 dpi and I don't have negative accel because my mouse sens is high.

I think 800dpi sould be safe, but you can test yourself if you have negative accel or not. Aim at some corner, with your mouse on the edge of your mousepad, move away really fast then go back slowly. If you are aiming at the same corner as before then you have no accel.
    Actually you are in danger to have negative acc because of your high dpi(assuming that your windows sens is at 6/11 aka the mouse input is 1:1).

Btw Hog: In my tutorial there is this http://phoon.us/mouse/ link, but nowdays the site is down permanently, here is correct link: http://www.funender.com/quake/mouse/index.html
    I'm gonna edit it to tutorial soon.

Replies
    Country
    United States
    Played a little on F|A silent, wasn't pretty. I got a lot of learning to do. Scenario: I crouch→strike first on enemy→he is crouched, and returns fire→my screen shakes→I continue to shoot and hear my hitsounds→I get defeated Anyway, I appreciate yall's input so far. I'll continue reading and learning.

Spamming the boards! testforecho's Avatar
    Replies
    Quote Originally Posted by BossHK View Post
    Actually you are in danger to have negative acc because of your high dpi(assuming that your windows sens is at 6/11 aka the mouse input is 1:1).
    Well, you are right, but I get neg. accel only if I make extremely fast moves with my forearm, which I normally don't when I play.

With the graph in \cl_debugMove 1 you can sort of see if you are having negative accel or not. Atm I can't test it, and I often play from Linux, so I have directinput there and no negative accel.
    But as far as I remember, you can clearly see when you have neg. accel. The top part of that graph would be flat, because the extra mouse input is 'cut' at some height (based on your fps, resolution and dpi/os settings).
    And to get that flat peak, I need to make really fast moves. When I make normal moves, as I would do in a fight, I never reach such high peaks in that graph. Maybe if I need to turn 180 when someone is shooting from behind, but in that case negative accel won't be such a handicap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hog View Post
    Played a little on F|A silent, wasn't pretty. I got a lot of learning to do. Scenario: I crouch→strike first on enemy→he is crouched, and returns fire→my screen shakes→I continue to shoot and hear my hitsounds→I get defeated Anyway, I appreciate yall's input so far. I'll continue reading and learning.
    Hmm, first of all remember to check player pings, maybe you think you strike first but your opponent has a lower ping than yours, so he actually shoots first.

In these crouch vs crouch situations I think what counts most is not only hitting first, but also the amount of hs you make.
    Some micro-movements with your keyboard to keep your player model's head in motion could be useful to make your opponent miss some hs, and at the same time it's strafe-aiming, to adjust your xhair position on him.

It's all about how much damage per second you deal, and a hs counts as 2 bodyshots. So even if you start shooting first, you can still lose, if you don't make damage fast enough. If you think you are going to win, then you can keep crouching and shooting, otherwise it's wiser to quickly stand and move a bit, then crouch again in a different position. You can judge by the amount of screenshakes you receive and your hitsounds.

Replies
    exactly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12