Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Demo Viewer

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    See here, I assume this is what you're wanting: http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/s...01-Demo-Viewer
    That's funny. The person that started that thread is my son. We are both looking for answers.

Ok here is what I want to know. Say player "a" is taking a video of player "d". because he think's player "d" may have some kind of hack. Player "a" then sends me the demo to look at. The demo would show only what player "a" could see. Is there a demo viewer that would show me exactly what player "d" see's when they are playing? Thus a "true view"
    =EMP=Cutterbeck

Spamming the boards! testforecho's Avatar
    Replies
    The answer is no, because the demo only records what the server sends to player "a" (player coordinates, events and stuff) it's *not* a movie, it's just a stream of data.

You have no way to know what player "d" saw, actually in the demo you don't even see where he was really aiming, because of a thing called client prediction, which doesn't get recorded in demos, and can't be seen while 'speccing' somebody. So you will see his aim slightly 'in the past' (lagging behind the target).

Let's say you want to know whether player "d" has a wallhack or not, that is if he is able to see enemies behind walls.

The only way you can do it is by watching the demo, and while you watch it type the command /r_shownormals 1
    This way you can see players behind walls (you can't use that command when you play). Then you have to carefully judge it and see if some of his decisions can be only justified by the fact that he can see behind walls, and not because of sounds, guesses, map, watching from a team mate's point of view while dead, luck, etc. etc.

Sometimes it's obvious that they cheat, sometimes you need to have some experience to see it (bad players have no idea about how an experienced one can 'read' the game and predict what enemies can do, so they end up suspecting 'clean' players), sometimes it's hard to tell even if you have experience. But if you watch 2-3 demos generally if someone cheats you can see it.

edit:
    on etpro you can use wolfcam to watch a demo from another player's point of view. For example I once played in a 3on3 and I 'felt' that something weird was going on. Later I took my own demo, and opened it with wolfcam, and so I could watch it from my opponent's point of view with r_shownormals 1, and I saw that 2 of them had an obvious wallhack, not even trying to hide it. Of course I couldn't have watched them when I was playing, so this tool is very useful.
    Last edited by testforecho; 13-02-2012 at 20:18.

Replies
    Country
    United States
    Xfire
    ecavery
    Clan
    =EMP=Empire Clan
    By a true view.. we are meaning a view of what the player is seeing on their screen. So if they are using a wallhack, it will show up on the video. It's been answered though. Thanks Rudi and Patriot for your help!
    =EMP=Avery13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12