PDA

View Full Version : Changed rating conditions on trackbase[CHEAT PROTECTION]

Paul
5-10-2011, 20:23
Dear Public,

As you all have seen, PunkBuster does not register any new guid's anymore. Evenbalance decided they don't like ET players anymore because they can't get any money out of it. There is a discussion thread about this HERE.
(http://forum.trackbase.net/forum.trackbase.net/threads/841-No-PB-support-for-ET-anymore)

We do not see any other options then encourage people to disable PunkBuster on their servers to make sure new ET players can keep playing the game with the same fun we have. This would lead into thousands of extra non-rated sessions and it would be impossible to rate anymore. Therefore we have decided to enable rating globally for EVERY SERVER. Servers known for it's cheaters utopia will be blocked from rating & ranking. So keep that in mind.

If you see any cheater playing please videotape them as we will make sure their rating will be disabled.

Hope this will sufficiently inform you all on this very sad day.

Regards,

The Trackbase Team

daredevil
5-10-2011, 20:25
Good decision!

hAte&Heaven
5-10-2011, 20:50
Well, it sounds good apart from there will be cheaters swarming every single server.

Dragonji
5-10-2011, 20:58
Well, it sounds good apart from there will be cheaters swarming every single server.
I'm afraid of this too :(

Paul
5-10-2011, 21:12
I'm afraid of this too :(

Me too but I think there isn't any other real option :)

equaLz
5-10-2011, 21:21
Well nice nice :)
Almost every populair servers have good admins, so dont worry :) .

Thank you.

Shagileo
5-10-2011, 21:52
Cheaters always have been a fact in ET, even with cheatprotection. It's hard to fully clean them and of course, removing all kinds of protection will make things easier for cheaters. However, I always found that the best cheatprotection was the server admin and his crew himself (themselves).

Personally, I don't think there will be a major climb in cheating and if there is - TB is always there to take measures

Lastly, thanks for your support. We have a great community and we wish (and hope) to continue to return the favour

EDIT

UPDATE:

With the PB auth server offline no new GUID's will be generated and current ones will not have the age info anymore which effectively means this is the end of the line for PBBans support in ET.

Without the PB auth server the Hub will not add new bans.

<IoW> BECK
5-10-2011, 22:33
My concern with this is, if GUIDs are no longer being used, how are good admins supposed to ban cheaters when punkbuster is turned off? Or I'm I just missing something here...

carnage
5-10-2011, 22:59
My concern with this is, if GUIDs are no longer being used, how are good admins supposed to ban cheaters when punkbuster is turned off? Or I'm I just missing something here...
People will start making wide usage of IP bans. At least until a new ID system gets implemented (if this ever happens).

daredevil
5-10-2011, 22:59

With !ban and !subnet ban feature. !ban feature is available in all mod's and !subnet ban will be available in silEnT mod (http://mygamingtalk.com/forums/) starting from beta releases. We will be releasing beta release somewhere today or tomorrow. We might even add some local GUID's for XPsave going forward

Following new commands for flag '.':
!subnetban [subnet] (time) (reason)
!rmsubnetban [subnet ban #]
!userwl [PBGUID] [add|remove]
and for flag 'b', the same flag with showbans command
!subnets

Subnets can be created for octets 2 and 3. First octet subnet bans (*.*.*.*) are rejected. User, if online, cannot subnet ban himself unless he has whitelisted himself. The last octet is ignored, i.e. if giving full IP, the subnetban is created to the 3rd octet.

Users can be whitelisted. Using !userwl [8 character guid] add | remove.

!subnets command will show all active subnet bans

!userinfo, !userlist and !usersearch commands will output information if the player is whitelisted. For the !userlist and !usersearch, there is a white W in the ban column.

Current version of silEnT mod also uses Hardware Based Identification and it can also help. :)

http://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Silent_FAQ#Hardware_Based_Identification

Wiki is still under construction, so don't bite me, if some info is missing. You can always report it on tracker.

<IoW> BECK
5-10-2011, 23:00
Ok, but aren't IP bans done with RCON - pb_sv_ban. Is there another way? My server is ETPUB, so we use GUID for XPSAVE and shrubbet stuff, is that stuff going to go away because of this?

daredevil
5-10-2011, 23:06
Ok, but aren't IP bans done with RCON - pb_sv_ban. Is there another way? My server is ETPUB, so we use GUID for XPSAVE and shrubbet stuff, is that stuff going to go away because of this?

pb_sv_ban = RCON based, yes.
!subnetban = silEnT Mod feature. We had added support for it couple of weeks back for NON PB servers but since there is NO PB at all, now, it will come handy :)

If your server is ETPub, you can easily convert it to silEnT without loosing XP or admin. You can use the conversion tool.

http://mygamingtalk.com/forums/files/file/8-etpub-xp-conversion-tool-for-silent-mod/

Note: IIRC, in ETPub if you ban someone without GUID, it will ban all players. So be careful.

<IoW> BECK
5-10-2011, 23:08
Wonderful - we're signed up for silent beta anyway, I think. We've been testing it out for a few weeks and love it. Thanks for the info!

daredevil
5-10-2011, 23:09
Wonderful - we're signed up for silent beta anyway, I think. We've been testing it out for a few weeks and love it. Thanks for the info!

Make sure you are in this list (http://mygamingtalk.com/forums/index.php?app=members&section=view&module=list&filter=11) RC candidate will be released today or tomorrow and you can download it from our download section if you are in Beta Tester group.

<IoW> BECK
5-10-2011, 23:15
Yup, one of my admins is there :D

.PG|monk
5-10-2011, 23:26
People will start making wide usage of IP bans. At least until a new ID system gets implemented (if this ever happens).

Whats the sense of Banning players by GUID. Normally they could generate a new one, (temporary) not now.
And besides i always ban players by IP.

ETPUB, so we use GUID for XPSAVE and shrubbet stuff, is that stuff going to go away because of this?

All players that play on your server and are having a guid, their XP + adminlevels will be saved. If a new player without any guid connects his xp and adminlevels will not be saved, because PB doenst create a guid (guid= to save xp + admin) any longer.

/rcon pb_sv_ban bans a connected player reconized by /pb_sv_plist which doenst work any longer. And wondering what its bans (guid or IP ) or both.
same for command !ban in schrubbot which ban the name or slot from that player with time. There is something like pb_sv_banmask for IP, but to be honest im not sure if that doenst work either.

Maybe sombody with Etpub experience is able to help you out Beck.

Regards,
monk

Fatal1ty
6-10-2011, 00:03
Hi Paul! That's a good decision but i've another one. Just a suggestion. It's hard to overwatch every server, way to hard and it requies way to much work. Why just not to enable rating on SOME servers? I'm talkin about FA now for example (Just no WOOD plz lol). I think my idea isn't that bad. I would just enable rating for SOME servers if i were You paul ;).

BTW i think WE are going to have much work now ^^. That means we need more members HOWEVER, from now, WHTEAM is going to bust "High Rated" Cheaters! You have our support Paul!

Greetings

sosA
6-10-2011, 00:03
Nice Paul!
Maybe its wise to make a special section in forum for a list with those names? This way other server admins will be aware of these ppl. cheating.
So we can still help each other out.

harlekin
6-10-2011, 00:13
should be enough to set pb_sv_guidrelax to 1. Just allow unkw_guid ;)

Don't like the idea of loosing my loved admin mod.

pb_sv_plist still works at least for all player that have a guid

daredevil
6-10-2011, 01:53
/rcon pb_sv_ban bans a connected player reconized by /pb_sv_plist which doenst work any longer. And wondering what its bans (guid or IP ) or both.
same for command !ban in schrubbot which ban the name or slot from that player with time. There is something like pb_sv_banmask for IP, but to be honest im not sure if that doenst work either.

Maybe sombody with Etpub experience is able to help you out Beck.

Regards,
monk

pb_sv_ban bans the GUID
pb_sv_banmask bans the IP and/or subnet and it works perfectly well.

@ <IOW> Beck
silEnT Mod 0.4.0 RC1 Released (http://mygamingtalk.com/forums/topic/848-silent-040-rc1-released-for-our-beta-testing-admins/). You can ask your admin, to grab it and use the new added featurs.

We are planning to add some local mod based GUID in next release for general XP storage. Till then you can use client hardware based identification and subnet ban features.

daredevil
6-10-2011, 01:57
should be enough to set pb_sv_guidrelax to 1. Just allow unkw_guid ;)
Don't like the idea of loosing my loved admin mod.
pb_sv_plist still works at least for all player that have a guid

Buddy, it will still kick players with NO GUID.

assasin
6-10-2011, 09:38
Yes! it's a good decision ......... and i hope that it wont be the end of et.....

Paul
6-10-2011, 11:16
Some people asked why I just didn't enable rate for a few servers but I think that's not very fair for all admins and therefore we've come up with thid decision.

equaLz
6-10-2011, 11:24
Paul as it now its good,
if some servers are cheating we can just report that.
So that server can be disabled.

Regards,
AlCapOne.

harlekin
6-10-2011, 11:38
Buddy, it will still kick players with NO GUID.
You are right, the "solution" for me now is:
pb_sv_noguidgrace 0
pb_sv_guidrelax 0

With that player don't get kicked. Still new players don't get a new key but how many new players et have theese days :D For all without key we maybe find a different solution.

Edit:
Just noticed that client also can't update their clients anymore, so changed settings is only a temp solution.

Dragonji
6-10-2011, 16:22
pb_sv_ban = RCON based, yes.
!subnetban = silEnT Mod feature. We had added support for it couple of weeks back for NON PB servers but since there is NO PB at all, now, it will come handy :)

If your server is ETPub, you can easily convert it to silEnT without loosing XP or admin. You can use the conversion tool.

http://mygamingtalk.com/forums/files/file/8-etpub-xp-conversion-tool-for-silent-mod/

Note: IIRC, in ETPub if you ban someone without GUID, it will ban all players. So be careful.
But what about the XPSave and admin levels? New players will not get new GUIDs so their XP won't be saved and there will be no chance to set admin levels for them.

Dookie
6-10-2011, 17:01
But what about the XPSave and admin levels? New players will not get new GUIDs so their XP won't be saved and there will be no chance to set admin levels for them.
same question...

daredevil
6-10-2011, 17:25

same question...

We "might" add some local GUID system in future release, we are talking internally about it. :)

Dookie
6-10-2011, 18:19
nice, i hope it will succed :)

belstgut
7-10-2011, 14:03
cool idea would be making TZAC mandatory on all servers not only etpro. but there need to be a method how to check it. and TZAC should work with other mods beside etpro and etmain.

and with method to check i dont mean a serveraddon like there is for etpro just some simple lua scripts wich check if the user is using tzac. if not he gets kicked.

edit: and adminmods need to be edit so they use the tzac id instead of the pb guid

{WeB}*GANG$TA*
7-10-2011, 18:47
All the years our Wolfenstein Community has supported Punkbuster and this is how they treat us? We advertised and used their product worldwide and now, because they can't make a "fast buck" from WolfET, they stab us in the back? Well they can stick their anti-cheat system and the lag spikes that come with it, right up their money-motivated arses.

Our server uses ETPub right now and we run PB, but after talking to Daredevil about Silent Mod this now seems the way ahead. The main problem our server Admin highlighted was the possibility of having to re-install everything "from scratch" in order to run the server with Silent Mod. I see you posted a link, Daredevil, concerning an "easy conversion tool", does this mean that converting our server from ETPub to Silent Mod is easier than we think?

daredevil
7-10-2011, 21:55
15 mins work to install silent mod from scratch. :)

XP Save can be converted easily using this tool. (http://mygamingtalk.com/forums/files/file/8-etpub-xp-conversion-tool-for-silent-mod/)

For conversion, it still takes less then 15 mins. Fine tuning might take some time because server owner will need to refer manual but shouldn't take more then 30 mins.. If you need help, I can install the silent mod for you.