PDA

View Full Version : What make a gr8 server??

Ripjaw
19-12-2010, 13:02
Hey guys i would like some tips and the like on servers? Im about to make one for my clan but im in two mids weather or not to waste my time and money??

There are many many servers and some of them very good but always dead?? and i cant figure out why?

The ones tht are always full are the likes of =F|A= And Teamturkfrance and franceclan [WOOD]

I take it to be succesfull it must be a 50 slot sever with good rate/xp settings??

Any help/info/tips would be very welcome, after all i want to make a gr8 one for my clan/ everyone else to come to so it may be in some other peoples interest to help, specially all this little owner clans with out servers :P

daredevil
19-12-2010, 16:52
They are not the only ones. There are many more! Ex. Kernwaffe, HBC (Etpro), etc.

There is nothing like good rate/xp settings. It's this so called new generation which gives too much importance about rating. When I used to play back in old days, rating was for fun and not much of an issue. Now a days, 60% appx (IMO) plays for rating.

Here is our another server which is also popular.

http://et.trackbase.net/index.php?mod=serverinfo&idx=104

FF On / No Adren / Single Jump / PB On / PBBans streaming / 26 slots / 20 - 25 Maps

Every player has it's own choice of server. Make the server as you like and you will have start having players. Keep the PB and PBBans streaming on to take care of cheaters or without it, it will be cheat fest server.

Yunglegend
20-12-2010, 14:44
What you need is patience! Every server no matter how large or small takes time to become popular. You need to discuss with your members what kind of server settings/mods etc you like and there you can start building your server. Everyone has their own different needs and somehow you got to put that together and make it fun. As you are in a clan and have members it will helpful if they are active on your server. Im from the UK and i started my adventure in Oct 2009 with just 1 server and just me myself and I, probably after some month my server started picking up with some regulars. After a year on i got more than 10 active clan/admins members and alot of server regulars and increased to 4 servers (different ET mods).
My servers are active but not popular, but im not bothered im here to have some fun. If it become popular than ill be a very happy server owner.
Everything else what daredevil said is true. ET came out in 2003 so its been a very long time but its never too late to start.

http://et.trackbase.net/index.php?mod=serverinfo&idx=3989 ( main server NQ )

http://et.trackbase.net/index.php?mod=serverinfo&idx=3897 ( etpub )

http://et.trackbase.net/index.php?mod=serverinfo&idx=3902 ( nitmod )

http://et.trackbase.net/index.php?mod=serverinfo&idx=4007 ( Jaymod )

My server which i have put above, im not advertising here btw.

epsi
20-12-2010, 21:50
- no adre
- no dj
- SK allowed
- no or at least limited panza, flamethrower, mortar, limited arty
- mature member / admins (!!) - dont give normal member / trail members too much power and take a look at their behaviour. Very very important imo
- good server hoster so guests dont have too much lags
- 2.55+ so 2.55, 2.56, 2.60 & 2.60b can connect
- fast level (weapon skills etc.)
- not too much to download (!!) -> less skin- / soundpacks, "basic" maps so maps like Oasis, but also "known" custom maps like grush, Baserace etc.
- PB (maybe also PB stream) ON, otherwise you will not get many ppl. playing on ure server

so long....

E: 36 slots max. imo - many many maps are unplayable otherwise -> only nade spam etc.
E2: I would go for NQ :>

ETc|#.Jay.#
21-12-2010, 15:16
making a new popular server is very difficult. 5 Years ago it was easy. And most of the popular servers existing since some years.
I prefer adre, jaymod, 50slot, wolfrof 0, good soundpack, not only standartmaps, and ofc no omnibot bullshit. :)
Anyway i wish you good luck.

Ripjaw
22-12-2010, 00:25
Thankyou guys for all the help, got alot to think bout lol.

Was thinking small yet fun sound pack nothin ott, i love the lady headshot sound but dont think people like it :(
40slots
dj coz its fun
no adre i used to use it but gone off it big time.

But i'll post here once its done maybe some guys could come look :P

Thanks again for help

Dragonji
23-12-2010, 00:14
In these times it's impossible to make a new popular ET server... The most popular servers exist few years ;) I've seen only one server opened in 2010 which has some players not omni-bots... Ripjaw, just a tip, don't install shit omni-bots. Organise some regular players for your server (e.g. clan members) and show all ET communities that somebody cares about the server, I am sure you'll get few new players after some weeks.

Ripjaw
23-12-2010, 01:14
^^ Yeah was'nt planing on puttin bots on, was gonna do like you said and jst get all members to play and hope for the best :D

ET Needs more servers, cant see the game die ;''(

khaled
25-12-2010, 15:40
et need more jaymod server with slow shooting and no adre + mutliversion (playing from every version). Anyway i would agree wiht epis but no nq, jaymod would better imo

khaled
25-12-2010, 15:43
just like the old .$k@ server whcih was on of the best servers...or the old pro* server.. both jaymod only that pro* server got fast shooting, but none hadnt adre.. those seettings are good

epsi
27-12-2010, 21:20
oh yes i forgot this fast shooting thingy. This is so damn annoying!!! Server can run good (many players), has good maps and settings - i connect and see this shitty fast shooting -> instant disconnect :D

Played Jaymod for a long time. Moved to NQ and i just like this mod :P IMO NQ server are also well frequented. Also there is no longer support for Jaymod - Jaybird quitted this project. The NQ 1.2.9 has some nice features.

Dragonji
28-12-2010, 01:00
i connect and see this shitty fast shooting -> instant disconnect :D
The same here ;)

Ripjaw
28-12-2010, 20:47
I used to h8 fast shooting servers but am starting to like them lol, i suck now when i go on normal server :S, I read tht SLAC will be made avalible for other mods soon cant wait!!! There are so many hackers out there, i think all server owners should use it once it comes out too :D

Looked into gettin server very soon, looked on YCN £20 a month for 40slots, anyone know of another good or even better provider??? was gonna rent one from =F|A= But i lag so much in there servers :(

Patriot
31-12-2010, 09:47
ET Needs more servers, cant see the game die ;''(

ET dosent need more servers. ET needs more players having fun, and playing on empty servers aint that.

Reduce numbers of servers so that all servers would be busy, would make it fun for all, and attract ppl, which again could give a chance to open for more servers etc etc.

we closed 3 servers for that reason.

and yes i understand that every clan would like to be a serverowner, but imho thats just not going to work.

I wouldnt waste my money on it tbh

Ripjaw
3-01-2011, 21:05
^^ Only other plan then would be to merge some clans?? i been thinking about this for some time in fact, there are mant small clans like mine i think would better benift from mergeing

Patriot
7-01-2011, 09:24
Yeah a Merge could be an idea

but could also be a nightmare to get implemented, would suggest that some of the old established clans that have proven their ability to survive tries to get smaller clans implemented/recruited into them, should be able todo that without the smaller clan loosing their identity, maybe some sort of squad thingy?

dunno tbh
Might worth thinking about.

Neon
10-01-2011, 20:17
just like the old .$k@ server whcih was on of the best servers...or the old pro* server.. both jaymod only that pro* server got fast shooting, but none hadnt adre.. those seettings are good

Incidentally, we are working on it :P

Adrian
11-01-2011, 03:56
I used to h8 fast shooting servers but am starting to like them lol, i suck now when i go on normal server :S, I read tht SLAC will be made avalible for other mods soon cant wait!!! There are so many hackers out there, i think all server owners should use it once it comes out too :D

Looked into gettin server very soon, looked on YCN £20 a month for 40slots, anyone know of another good or even better provider??? was gonna rent one from =F|A= But i lag so much in there servers :(

YCN its the cheapest out there and provides Euro people with best pings.

Ripjaw
11-01-2011, 09:06
Yeah been doing alot of looking around in many server rentals and tbh for value and qulity fa leader hellfire is where im goin :) I did like ycn but they f**ked about with my pro server and there contsalty putting my friends clan server offline and dont answer her quereys, or mine when i had them. Since it looks lkie you work for ycn adrian maybe you could tell your lot to pull there fingers out lol

Dragonji
11-01-2011, 18:08
My friend from Germany pays 50€ per month for all over the root. He's running 7 CoD4 servers, 2 ET servers, TS3 server there and still have free resources... IMO it's more profitable than few slots in some game hosting company ;)

daredevil
11-01-2011, 19:51
He's running 7 CoD4 servers, 2 ET servers, TS3 server there and still have free resources...

It depends on how much slot each server is. If all servers are around 40 slots and are popular, he will run out of BW and users will see lag.

My Euro COD4 server in itself pushes around 4-8Mbp/s. If all his servers are full, players will see lag since he will be pushing his BW limits. ET is uses almost 2x BW then COD4.

Although each data centers tells 100Mbps/port, you never get that much in real time. If you get 80Mbps its good enough.

I have seen GSP's providing 64 slot in 15$. They also say they have resourced but then there resources come from 'swap' instead of 'RAM' and they also 'auto kill' any server which uses more then 30-40% CPU. I have seen many host don't even provide 128 hunkmegs. I have seen GSP's hosting 300-500 slots one 100MBps port :) Now they do make profit because there service is cheap and every time they get newbie admins to host with them because they 'cheap'.

It all depends how GSP's run there hosting. More or less you also need to consider, clients don't stay forever. There clan dies and they move on or sometimes there is big network failure or HD failure and they move on because they don't like few hours downtime or so once in a year. At that time you will end up paying more to keep your machine and then additional charges to fix things.

There overall margin is very less unless you start stacking servers on one machine.

schnoog
11-01-2011, 20:06
Dragon, yes in germany it`s no problem to rent a 50Euro machine with massiv ressources. But if somebody don`t have real linux experience it`s not the best idea to rent a (not managed) root server.

spooky
11-01-2011, 20:37
when opening a server think what u like and what players like its players who make a server not the admin we supply the servers but we need people to play them bad admin server dies quickly

Ripjaw
11-01-2011, 22:44
Yeah u aint wrong, shogs is tht u?? lol

Dragonji
12-01-2011, 18:02
It depends on how much slot each server is. If all servers are around 40 slots and are popular, he will run out of BW and users will see lag.

No, 40 slots would be too much. They aren't so big servers like =F|A='s =) All CoD4 servers are running Promod (20-26 slots) and two of them are for clan members only (war/train). ET servers aren't big too ;)

Although each data centers tells 100Mbps/port
How did you know? Ah, yes, you've a lot of servers :D

I have seen GSP's hosting 300-500 slots one 100MBps port :) Now they do make profit because there service is cheap and every time they get newbie admins to host with them because they 'cheap'.

:D

BTW, I didn't say game-hosting companies are sh*t, but IMO data centers are more profitable, cause an admin can set up everything for his clan for a better price (eg. 1 big public server, 1 private ETPro, 1 TS/Ventrilo/Mumble, he don't have to "choke" all his bandwidth) ;)