PDA

View Full Version : IPB vs VB

heddlu
20-10-2012, 23:20
So this is just a general topic in regards to IPB - Invision Power Board and VB - VBulletin.

Recently I have been wondering which out of the two is better and why? Now previously over the years of making websites or forums I had been using systems such as PhpNuke/Evolution and PHPBB3 with some one or two SMF/IPB forums for some small sports clubs/teams etc.
Since starting up BoB or restarting BoB as some may remember the clan from before. I had installed the latest IPB software and setup a clan forum, now lately I have been checking out VB and reading through some useful forums/sites in regards to views or opinions etc in regards to it.
I would like to know what you guys think of the two, what is good or bad, what is better or worse and also I would like the opinions from TB staff/admins here since this forum software is VB.

daredevil
21-10-2012, 00:39
vB5 is complete fail. More then 60 queries or so on front page compare to 8 with IPS. Also with vB5 around the corner, I don't see much development in vB4. If IB needs to use Magento to sell their vB license then you can guess what I mean.

IPB is what I would suggest.

If you have any specific question, feel free to ask.

Jemstar
21-10-2012, 00:44
Just to throw something useless into the discussion....In Australia we go for VB everytime:w00t:
http://www.lasttrywines.co.uk/sites/default/files/vb.jpg

Dragonji
21-10-2012, 01:51
You've bought IPB license already so why would you need to waste more money buying VB?

JoNny
21-10-2012, 09:01
I am for VB, i've seen both forums and am registered once on each type also, but i've seen on IPB so many functions etc, sometimes i don't even know why i should use it,
I guess it's better to use for clans and such, but the TB Forums should be simple and just forums, not an own website.

heddlu
21-10-2012, 09:34
You've bought IPB license already so why would you need to waste more money buying VB?

It's not that I want to get VB I was just wondering what the differences were between the two that's all :D
But yes I agree that VB5 is a complete failure ^^

daredevil
21-10-2012, 17:23
It's not that I want to get VB I was just wondering what the differences were between the two that's all :D

Regarding performance:

IPB wins over vB.

Regarding add-ons:

IPB has official add-ons for Gallery, Downloads, Blogs, Content, Shop, etc

Regarding features:

I believe IPB has more built in features then vB.

If you are looking for low cost nice script with just forum features even Xenforo is nice.

http://xenforo.com/community/

Once they win lawsuit, XF would be more outstanding product.

I personally own 5 IPB license and one XF. My friend uses vB for his forums but I believe they are soon moving to XF.

Paul
21-10-2012, 17:55
My 2 cents:

vB Has more (free) modifications that make the product well usable, it also has a very easy way to integrate it with other systems (what we use at TB, rest of TB uses the vB Account system). I agree that vB5 seems to be a complete failure but I've seen the latest beta's and it's going in the right direction. It's far from complete in my eyes but it'll make it I guess.

IPB is great, but also has it flaws in my eyes.

XenForo is long from a completed product, I wouldn't recommend it, would say use IPB or VB then. It's just not great software (at least yet!).

Also large websites like XDA-developers are using vB, so it's not that disastrous as people say sometimes.

My recommendation: wait until vB5 is more ready, then make the choice between either (a cheaper?) vB4, vB5 or IPB

heddlu
21-10-2012, 18:37
Some good views. Thanks for the feeedback guys!
Have had a look at XF and they look to be ok, and IPB does have its flaws as said. Had read a topic on a different forum explaining that IPB has a confusing admin system but really it isn't that confusing once you get used to it.
Before IPB I had PhpFusion 7 installed and that was running great but it does lack some decent modifications and addons, and atm I'm waiting for the new PHPFusion 8 to be released so I could test it out and see what the new features are with the use of a demo site.

Some though like FUN clan use PHPBB3 which is okay, good free software but that lacks any good mods/addons. I think the only good ones for that are a portal and ajax shoutbox.

IPB for me though of course, does the trick for now until we find a system that is either better or decent enough with some good themes/mods or addons etc.
Haven't long installed a downloads db onto the forum either, which is another thing. Unlike some other systems, installing new applications or mods in IPB is dead easy when you know what to do etc.

Koiranpentu
21-10-2012, 20:32
You should absolutely try XenForo demo. It's not as bad as Paul says. And there are lots of good things. Trust me.

I'm an administrator on one XenForo board and it's a really great forum software. As you can read from Paul's post, XenForo isn't perfect yet. It's missing some basic stuff, which is really bad. However, you should absolutely follow XenForo updates. It is a great software and people have also made really good addons for it. I'm sure it will become much better in the future as it's now.

If you absolutely need tag system in a core (for XF there is addon for this) or/and you mush have a forum theme in a core (for XF there isn't any good looking free mobile theme), then select IPB. However, follow XenForo updates.

Actually I'm going to start a new website project and I'll be choosing from XF and IPB. Those two reasons are the only things why I would choose IPB. Tags will be in a huge role on this project because it will be an education forum. However, I haven't chosen the software yet. It will be a very hard decision. XenForo is missing some really essential stuff but in the end it seems to be much better forum software. Also it has some really cool addons which I've not seen to be available for any other forum software.

Also, three links for you:
http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comparator/ipboard-vs-vbulletin4-vs-xenforo
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/
http://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-pre-sales-questions.5/

daredevil
22-10-2012, 02:28
Actually I'm going to start a new website project and I'll be choosing from XF and IPB. Those two reasons are the only things why I would choose IPB. Tags will be in a huge role on this project because it will be an education forum. However, I haven't chosen the software yet. It will be a very hard decision. XenForo is missing some really essential stuff but in the end it seems to be much better forum software. Also it has some really cool addons which I've not seen to be available for any other forum software.

Wait for Nov 5th or so.. IIRC, that's the court hearing date for XF. See how the progress is being done and then decide.

More or less on busy forum, XF is much faster.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vb5-beta-released-and.36137/page-43#post-418364

11 queries compare to vB5 60 queries on front page.

http://www.se7ensins.com

They moved from vB to Xenforo in the end. Xenforo is rocking fast if you just need all around basic features for forums. 50 queries/page makes much difference when you have super busy board with 200 people posting at same time.

Patriot
22-10-2012, 09:32
Some though like FUN clan use PHPBB3 which is okay, good free software but that lacks any good mods/addons. I think the only good ones for that are a portal and ajax shoutbox.
PhpBB3 has imo all the nessecary mods you need to run a clansite, its free and relatively easy to setup.

We uses it on our site and has done since it was released, before that we used PhpBB2.

Im not familiar with the other versions like IPB or whatever, but I can say that PhpBB3 does what its supposed todo.
we have Gallery, Shoutbox, Download, Arcade, Reptationsystem etc etc list just goes on

daredevil
22-10-2012, 09:50
Im not familiar with the other versions like IPB or whatever, but I can say that PhpBB3 does what its supposed todo.
we have Gallery, Shoutbox, Download, Arcade, Reptationsystem etc etc list just goes on

+1 for phpBB3 also :) Have used it for long time! Still use one on one of my personal small forum.

Scarhand
6-01-2013, 22:53
Its been to long since I've administrated a IPB board, and VB as well. XF is interesting. Is there a reason to choose those over free softwares like PHPBB3 and MyBB? I've always liked MyBB, never seemed to miss anything that other softwares have with its easy plugin system.

daredevil
7-01-2013, 13:42
Its been to long since I've administrated a IPB board, and VB as well. XF is interesting. Is there a reason to choose those over free softwares like PHPBB3 and MyBB? I've always liked MyBB, never seemed to miss anything that other softwares have with its easy plugin system.

Features, support and other things. phpBB3 makes the server crawl if you have heavy board with more then 1000 users at a time and over 1 million posts. Out of all XF is super fast. I believe performance wise XF is well optimized and with newer releases once lawsuit is done, XF will win over the time. At present, IPB seems to have many features compare to vB, phpBB3, XF and myBB.

I personally like XF.

daredevil
9-02-2013, 01:39
Just in case if someone is wondering about Xenforo then I converted my RPG forums to it.

http://rpggaming.net/

Did some clean up on it ... and still working on it.