PDA

View Full Version : Wolf ET 2

heddlu
11-10-2012, 17:43
So I know it has been a while since it was first announced or spoken of about a remake / continuation of the Wolf ET. Since I don't think anyone has heard of anything else happening in regards to this so was just wondering whether or not anybody knows if the project is still going or has stopped at a red light?

Dragonji
11-10-2012, 18:05
Splash Damage is working on their "secret project" for some time. It's probably a W:ET remake or ET:QW2. Time will tell.

Scarhand
11-10-2012, 22:58
If there is an ET2, hopefully it will contain all the numerous fixes and improvements offered by the major standard mods, as well as be more compatible with modern hardware and operating systems. Gameplay MUST stay the same.

ETc|#.Jay.#
12-10-2012, 00:20
i hope there will not coma a etqw 2, a et 2 should be like old one, with same hitboxes, same standartmaps with better looking and some more other standartmaps, and ofc the movement should be the old one. If not then the game goes in garbage like etqw :), i have original version of etqw here and played it 19 hours (the demo 22 hours) according from xfire profile. And since this i never touched the game anymore.

Spl@$h~
12-10-2012, 01:49
i hope there will not coma a etqw 2, a et 2 should be like old one, with same hitboxes, same standartmaps with better looking and some more other standartmaps, and ofc the movement should be the old one. If not then the game goes in garbage like etqw :), i have original version of etqw here and played it 19 hours (the demo 22 hours) according from xfire profile. And since this i never touched the game anymore.

+1000
thats all :)

daredevil
12-10-2012, 04:10
I believe Wolf ET 2 should be good if SD learned from the failures of ET:QW and Brink. Both games went pretty dead soon compare to COD and BF series. Hack even TF2 is super popular which i felt is pretty boring game but for some reason people love it.

Scarhand
12-10-2012, 04:11
+2000

I only played etqw for 2 hours long ago before i never played it again. Its probably still installed. ET has much better gameplay. No other FPS game combines the ability for actually skill-based combat with the ability to have fun without being good at all. Definitely keep same hitboxes and movement and weapons.

carnage
12-10-2012, 15:20
There are some things about ET:QW I wouldn't just throw away. The concept itself is remarkably nice and some features could work with some proper tweaks. It's just the execution that didn't convince many people. Truth be told, had it been a f2p game, it wouldn't have been a failure.

If they manage to combine the larger scale combat and "asymmetrical teams" of QW with the amazing fluidity and simplicity of ET, they'd come up with a really nice game. I even quite like QW and really, its failure lies in the commercial strategy.

I honestly would find it pointless if they released an ET rehash game. You would only have a game which consumes more resources for nothing.

heddlu
12-10-2012, 16:21
Fair enough. I do have some doubts that they will actually make and release it but then they are probably already doing it as we discuss this and in regards to ET-QW well, I've had it only on 360 and played it a lot whenever bored of other games. In general the game is okay but there were a few aspects to it which didn't get the big tick on my approval list, as many say SD are shit at making games.
But i do agree with your opinions here that if they do re-make ET then some or most of the settings and CVAR's etc should be the same as well as the graphics maybe but then they may decide to re-work the graphics and make them better. I think though there is a possibility that they may add iron sight to this which could be the put off for all or most of the ET players/fans.
I guess, only time will tell :)

Scarhand
12-10-2012, 18:37
Graphics can't be expected to be good for a free and open source game like this. However, I would love to see the game make more use of a GPU. Its really terrible that I can play Skyrim without any lag but ET lags terribly. The main reason to make a new game isn't to add new things or change the gameplay, its just that ET is old, needs new maps, compatibility upgrades, hitbox fixes from etpro and the other mods, remove all the junk coded into the engine that isn't used, etc.

Dragonji
12-10-2012, 21:40
Even if they're doing W:ET remake, it won't be just ET on new engine with new maps and code fixes. SD need to "adjust" it to the actual realities. A remake that Scarhand describes would be just a waste of company's money and time. The game has to be friendly for more people, not just for a small ET gamers group.

heddlu
19-10-2012, 10:23
Couldn't agree more. There are tonnes of known bugs and exploits within the game which need to be fixed and yes it needs to be more gamer friendly with some new and old features, weapons etc. The game itself maybe dying but there would still be servers running even when the game comes to a full stop, so there would still be a few here and there who would continue to play the game.
An old classic now that it is does need a makeover in order to spare it from death but will SD deliver? Chances are 50/50. The lag issue which players come against has been outlined and needs to be sorted out however its not a game issue its to do with the server's location, latitude and the players internet.

As seen with ETQW and Wolf 09 which were complete failures, hopefully if SD does go ahead with this then I hope that ET2 wouldn't be anything like them.

Dragonji
19-10-2012, 15:07
ETQW was a good game. Not perfect but good. Gamplay and/or graphics weren't the reasons of its death. Wolfenstein 2009 isn't a good example in my humble opinion because it had nothing to do with Splash Damage.

heddlu
19-10-2012, 16:13
Plus the fact that many like myself who had bought the game and tried playing it online were disappointed with it and of course the lack of support was also an issue.

Scarhand
19-10-2012, 17:50
Wolf09 was a fail because it tried to mimic modern FPS games in gameplay, and didn't have the bandwagon to back it up. Its really easy to lose the Wolf ET fanbase if they make a wolf ET2 the wrong way.

If they do make a Wolf ET2, an awesome feature would be to give it more ability for TrackBase to do things. Maybe even approach TB as an official rating service.

heddlu
20-10-2012, 23:06
Indeed