PDA

View Full Version : server lags

neropl
1-12-2010, 20:34
Hi all,
Just want to get some opinion from server owners and players about server lags and in particular pb lags. I think we all know since last year changes in pb we had weird lags and some more some less. Turning pb off on server got them totally gone. I don't see much problems with cheaters after turning it off but biggest problem is that server is not ranked because no anti-cheat running. Too bad that this is set like that but we rather enjoy playing and not be ranked than get horrible lags all the time. So far we ban only one cheater and enjoying smooth playing without lags. Recently I turn pb back for few days but had to take it off because it was horrible to play with lags like that. I wonder if any other server admins going this way and hope either pb fix it or there is different anti-cheat there that will work on pub servers without creating this issue.

daredevil
1-12-2010, 21:13
1. PB released update on 11/30/2010. That added some more cheat scans, at least the few one which I submitted is detected.
2. Sure PB add lags but it works as anti cheat with PBBans scans.
3. People will always lag, if they have old PC. Sorry to say but I get stable 125 FPS on any server if host as nice BW.
4. Some people will always lag, because they run tons of things at the background.
5. Without PB how XP save works for you? No PB = No GUID = No XP save.
6. Alternative is use Etpro + SLAC! Best!

People said less cheaters on 2.6b. So I run server without PB for few days on 2.6b for testing. As soon as I turned on PB, more then 4 got busted in just one day.

You might want to ask your members, about what PC specs they have, when they get lag, is it FPS lag or hardware lag or internet lag? Many things can cause lag.

It will be either PB or 10-50 FPS less. I would rather play on PB server rather then non PB cheat fest.

Dragonji
1-12-2010, 23:13
1. PB released update on 11/30/2010. That added some more cheat scans, at least the few one which I submitted is detected.
Evenbalance should work on better perfomance! I play a bit CoD4 and never had problems with PB...

PB (in ET) doesn't create problems/lags when you play on small servers (25 slots max), but game with 40 players and PB on public server is just horrible! Evenbalance really wants to make this game dead! What a shame... SLAC for public mods is the last one chance to keep ET alive!

neropl
2-12-2010, 01:30
like I said cheaters are not a problem for us, we have not as popular server as yours and if there is new player coming we watch him closely and can say in short time if he cheats or not.XP working very good and not having GUID is a rare thing but I saw few players that didn't have it but next time they came they had GUID (not sure why it works but it does). Hardware vary from older to newest and best but still lags and lags coming suddenly for period of time and may be smooth playing for 10 min and hit again like every 3 sec peak. This game was made for Pentium III and playing on Pentium 4 or higher shouldn't give problems especially with newest video cards with power that wasn't in your wish 6 years ago.
Game play nice anyway without pb so is not a game but pb check that evenbalance screwed so bad and don't even care to fix it. Like Dragon said SLAC maybe a solution but would have to see it to believe it and as far as I know they plan to release it for pub also.

daredevil
2-12-2010, 17:02
Game play nice anyway without pb so is not a game but pb check that evenbalance screwed so bad and don't even care to fix it. Like Dragon said SLAC maybe a solution but would have to see it to believe it and as far as I know they plan to release it for pub also.

SLAC as opened the option for other mods but not sure when they will fully support it.

http://sl-anticheat.com/news.php?id=7

Sure ET was made to play with P3 but you need to understand, with P3 you only get low FPS. IIRC, ET is more of a CPU based game rather then GPU.

A basic hardware C2D, DDR2, SATA HD and good internet should be playable enough.

Now a days people expect 300 FPS, saying game was made for P3 so I should get 300 FPS on C2D. No you don't. You need to recode whole game to fully support multi threading and then move the rendering part to completely GPU based.

PB is all about memory. With P3 I assume people are using DDR and hence the lag. Sure, PB adds overhead but is there any other option to it?

Server popularity as nothing to do with cheaters. Cheaters always target non PB servers and non PBBans streaming server. Might want to turn on PB and PBBans streaming for few weeks and you will notice what I mean to say.

If someone is having issues with PB, send a ticket to EB. I heard lately they are actively providing updates to fix the updates mentioned in the ticket. Well I never used to get reply before in my tickets, but lately I got 4 replies within 2 days in my 3 tickets.

Soocutie
19-12-2010, 07:45
good deardevil:D

schnoog
20-12-2010, 13:41
I comply with daredevil.
Since the pb fail phase, with thousends of 9014 kicks, evenbalance seems to be interessted in ET again.
Maybe mass of tickets wih content like " will warn every game developer to not use pb " have done their work ;)