PDA

View Full Version : Why do you still play ET

csl
4-03-2012, 13:31
Im throwing out this question to the ET community at large to try and show that for whatever reason we all still share a passion for ET and as a community can continue to keep ET alive.

For me its all about the fun meeting my e-friends online to share good times, and for that feeling of getting the objective done with 2 seconds left to the map! Although I still suck after playing all these years Ill never forget the fun and the very occasional multi-kill or the very frequent mistake on a map. I also am thankful for all the wonderful people ive played with over the years and have made friends with people from all over the world.

Scarhand
4-03-2012, 16:04
Because more modern games put realism above fun. Great, balanced gameplay usually. Customized server mods can make the game however you want it. Its also communities as well as a game.

Shownie
4-03-2012, 17:21
I have been playing this game for several years now, still suck at it, really. But somewhat I can't let it go. I can't say I play only Wolf: ET, but mainly it is the game I prefer. It is quit simple and yet very powerful. The gamplay is great when playing with friends, paring up in fireteams and just LOL the map.

I like the community and its amount of mods and maps. Of you want to play something different but still the same game, just switch mod. Many maps to choose from, of course there are maps I really don't like, but with the amount of maps there are always a handful of those. I have to admit Wolf: ET has given me a lot of contacts all over the world. Some actually means a lot and has developed to real friendship.

I still play this game because there are almost something new to find out every time I play. Either I meet someone or I just have really pleasant evening getting owned by going for the objective against a horde of rambo medics. Even if I don't play it I stay connected threw the community's, which is great!

I love to see the development of all projects and different community's or resources. The amount of passion for this game is more than any other and I am sure it will stay that way for many years more.

SergeXE
4-03-2012, 17:56
I'd have to agree with Shownie for the most part, and something about shooters like RTCW and ET's mechanics, style and gameplay makes me want to come back for it some more and more compared to other FPS's coming out today. Also, the sound of headshots and how much you can amass never gets old. =P

Jari
4-03-2012, 18:44
ye i agree with Shownie also, i play this game for 8years now? (HOLYSHIT!)
But i also cant let it go and idk why cuz i hate it and i put much time in it,
And what i also like is trackbase for ET, cuz its cool to see ur rank and if u come in the top 50 u'll be happy etc..
and ofc the fun, TJ'ing is also awesome only CF have it also but thats just something else and cool=)

mirqli
4-03-2012, 21:30
The greates FPS gaming ever made. Fast paced action and the teamwork aspect are great, the gameplay is just so unique. I can't think of any other game which needs skill as much as ET (quake maybe, but it has the same game engine anyways). Nowadays every game is just spraying with guns and you barely have to aim at your opponent. Also the TJ part is great and the amount of different mods. It's a shame the game is slowly dying...

Shownie
4-03-2012, 21:42
I have to disagree on two points from you, Mirqli.
First of all there are other team based games. I am not sure if I have to point them out but.. Battlefield is really based on the team. You can't really run alone and win the game, you must go in squads to succeed. Don't say you are wrong, but just wanted to point out that it is not only "spraying" :)

Secondly, and also most important, Wolf: ET is NOT slowly dying, don't even say it. It is still in top 10 free FPS, always, and I see active Linux forums and also Mac forums with lots of users want to play this game. So the game is not dying! Don't you forget that :)

Just wanted to point out these two points, hehe :cool:

mirqli
4-03-2012, 22:24
I wasn't saying that other games don't need teamplay, I was talking more about the aiming and brainusage aspect which comes up especially while playing scrims :) Imo your mouse movement doesn't have to be as accurate in new games as in ET and Quake.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support the game and I want it to be active for many more years. I can't even think of playing any other game with such enthusiasm that I have played ET and still play :) The fact just is that it's becoming less and less active all the time, I wish it was like 5 years ago. I know there are new people coming to play the game, but at the same time more people are quiting, which is sad. There is a column about this on crossfire and people are discussing about it. If you're interested here's a link: 2012 - End of the world or Just ET (http://www.crossfire.nu/?x=column&mode=item&id=602)

Shagileo
5-03-2012, 02:19
I remember many moons ago, the guys over at the SD forums were also saying ET was dead (that's already some steps further than 'slowly dieing' :p ). It's just amazing how it still gets updated and - despite everyting, like PB being a pain, ID being a pain ... etc - the community stands strong and reacts as a collective body.
How sites like SL and TB and many other community pages offered the players alternatives to keep on rocking the ET world.

That's just a small reaction to the 'slowly dieing' part :) (don't want to bash or it's nothing personal eh Mirqli, you know we love you)

However, I only play TJ the last couple of months. Pub games just don't do it for me anymore, I'm not sure why. I remember the great feeling I had to play with my good friends - 't was such a chill time, but my ET has been bugging me and it's discouraging to continuously look for a solution.
I've been playing it (quite intensely) since it came out, so maybe that's why I'm having an ET burnout perhaps :p

But I'll never stop playing this awesome game, even if it means I have to play alone !

mirqli
5-03-2012, 13:00
I remember many moons ago, the guys over at the SD forums were also saying ET was dead (that's already some steps further than 'slowly dieing' :p ). It's just amazing how it still gets updated and - despite everyting, like PB being a pain, ID being a pain ... etc - the community stands strong and reacts as a collective body.
How sites like SL and TB and many other community pages offered the players alternatives to keep on rocking the ET world.

That's just a small reaction to the 'slowly dieing' part :) (don't want to bash or it's nothing personal eh Mirqli, you know we love you)
Hah :) Yeah I get your point and I don't think it's dead yet either and won't be for few years atleast. What I mean it's leaning more and more to becoming inactive, all the PB stuff, master server stuff and the future of tzac is uncertain. But I agree, the communities are thriving and there isn't really many things that ID can take away from us anymore, it ain't dead yet! :)

Patriot
5-03-2012, 13:28

Huh...... Im 1 of those guys visiting SD's forum, cant remember someone saying its actually dead there

To keep et beeing popular we need new blood to replace the guys leaving for 1 or another reason.

The lack of a masterlist is actually a good way of denying us that.

the average et player maybe know howto use tb, sl, gt or xfire to find a server or can remember an ip, but new ppl cant.

im not saying et is dead, but im saying that there has to be done somthing about it NOW.

If it continues like this it will die, slowly maybe, but still.

Just call me pessimistic, but right now i can see gametracker is having 812 servers in their list, its not that long since it was 1200.

I actually cant believe people just reacting with a headshake and say np.

ontopic.

I have played this game from release without any breaks, started as etpro player and scrimmed alot also lots of official wars in Clanbase regi.

Last 4 years only played for fun tho, still does it a few times every week.

and like all others its the people you have met and still have contact with that really keeps it interesting for me.

tried other games like bf, brink or cod, but never really got the same feeling.

Manu
5-03-2012, 13:56
Mainly because of the friends in ET, from my clan and others. Then because i like the gameplay and so... ET is just Great :)

testforecho
5-03-2012, 14:33
I still play it mostly because of all the time I spent in these years, it feels bad to quit after all this time. But I won't forget all the friends I have met.

Sometimes I wish I had never started playing it, sometimes I regret that almost 99% of the time I played in public servers, when the way the game should be really played (2 teams who play stopwatch for an objective) is the most fun. Tj servers are fun too, it's been years since I last joined one, but I still have nice memories of that, tj servers were the place to have real fun, where players who knew all the secrets were glad to share their knowledge, etc.

Recently I play only jaymod, despite the fact that I think etpro is the best mod I prefer to play relaxed and play jaymod, because it's more random, more dumb, and less demanding so I can play in autopilot and listen to some music and still going positive.
But in some of those situations where you play in 50 slot servers with all that lag, mortars, etc., it feels like lotto and I say to myself 'wtf? what am I doing here wasting my time playing this crappy lottery' I am still there, though. But it feels like the difference between playing tic-tac-toe (a game so retarded that even a kid can draw against a genius) and playing chess.

I think some aspects of the game are somewhat dumbed down now in most servers, servers with 2 many slots, short spawntimes killing one of the tactical aspect of the game, etc. so in a way et is really dying

Torte
5-03-2012, 15:46
i remember, 2006 we created -=GER=-,German-ET-Racers.
we had own root and tried to create different servers.
Everytime if we went online with our "testserver".......2 minutes and full of players.
was awesome, only a testserver but everytime full if we tested some settings...
we decided to change nothing....standard maps....few settings for weapons, thats all.
was a favourite server for years...we needed private slots for admins cuz 24/7 full of players.
mirror,coyote, Xant & all these guys played there...young & stupid...:claps:

6-7years ago...
im 32 now...
i miss the old times.

Shownie
5-03-2012, 16:14
When I read most of the replias now days, I see one common and sad thing. Some years back servers had their own bag of players and clans hosted servers which was active. Now there is one fricking problem which I state is one of the problems people are leaving. Server admins puts crazy amount of BOTS on the servers... no one really enjoys playing with bots.

Damn, I hate bots. I rather play 1on1 instead of 4on4, and 6 of them are bots... no fun... only stupid... :)

Shagileo
5-03-2012, 20:43
When I read most of the replias now days, I see one common and sad thing. Some years back servers had their own bag of players and clans hosted servers which was active. Now there is one fricking problem which I state is one of the problems people are leaving. Server admins puts crazy amount of BOTS on the servers... no one really enjoys playing with bots.

Damn, I hate bots. I rather play 1on1 instead of 4on4, and 6 of them are bots... no fun... only stupid... :)

So true
The only good purpose for bots is when you want a little bit of fun on your own offline (or when you don't have an internet connection) or when you're all alone on a server, it can be more interesting to have at least one bot component.

Although I do respect the amount of work the developers have put into creating bot movement and behaviour

Shownie
5-03-2012, 22:57
Although I do respect the amount of work the developers have put into creating bot movement and behaviour

Agree with you on that point. But I don't even think the omni-bot developers real intention was to fill servers with bots.

slim43
6-03-2012, 00:30
i dont think bots do much harm to et its an old game and we are getting old lol with pb problems and 2 many servers on et and less people to populate them then some clans struggle to survive new admins are not as keen to keep servers online if no 1 plays i love et and and dont play any other games so i stay till i drop or et :):) theres still few oldies out there playing we know who we are :):)

JoNny
6-03-2012, 08:08
I agree,
i think the thing is that the most 'well-known' clans (FA outtaken - so if a clan got many servers then by ycn or smth) haven't got a root server where e.g. they'll set up an etpro server, a frag server and a ts or smth, then you can easily get a good atmosphere in your clan,
but :
the clans which have got a root server (e.g. qgc) haven't that popularity and much (active) members..

It's sad that many clans with a root server gonna die if there isn't a really good fusion or smth like that..
I think the best way to gonna have a nice and good clan with active members in a nice atmosphery is just to have a ts3 server and a little frag server, where the active players want to join out of theirself.
Many players just play et for rate in this time ( in the intention to get in top10 ) and players just apply -> get accepted and 1week later they leave again , but it was the other way around.. people joined freely and not to be in the best clan, they joined a clan where they felt good in and they had/have a nice atmosphery in there..

I think you should give clans like this a good chance..
fa got so many members already, i don't want to criticise them but i just want to emphasize the little clans a bit

And If the players have fun in-game again with being happy to be in a great clan, then they'll tell other friends&mates of them about the game and want them to join even the same clan..

this probably makes et a bit more popular again ;)

Grtz
JoNny

Patriot
6-03-2012, 10:04
and players just apply -> get accepted and 1week later they leave again , but it was the other way around.. people joined freely and not to be in the best clan, they joined a clan where they felt good in and they had/have a nice atmosphery in there..

Ah yeah :) Im playing with 4 other people still That I have played with without breaks since 2003 :) on servers, on ts and in some cases also irl now :)

btw thanks for the QGC note JoNny, well we have patience so we will just wait and see whats happening if anything :)

equaLz
6-03-2012, 11:10
As long we will play and keep active in the community, this game won't die...

EL^MEDICO.

Adrian
6-03-2012, 11:50
Im throwing out this question to the ET community at large to try and show that for whatever reason we all still share a passion for ET and as a community can continue to keep ET alive.

For me its all about the fun meeting my e-friends online to share good times, and for that feeling of getting the objective done with 2 seconds left to the map! Although I still suck after playing all these years Ill never forget the fun and the very occasional multi-kill or the very frequent mistake on a map. I also am thankful for all the wonderful people ive played with over the years and have made friends with people from all over the world.

That is well said :D

Scarhand
7-03-2012, 02:48
I love how no one even mentions it be 100% FREE as a reason. Even though it is free, it still stands as such an amazing game that I remember hearing it recently going up on a list of the best games (maybe best FPS games) ever. It is not the graphics or the price that grasps us, but the gameplay, which can be extremely intense and yet can also be relaxed and just for fun, and the communities, and how much effort they put into keeping the game alive and helping fellow players with all their problems.

Jemstar
7-03-2012, 07:47
Haha, Well said Scarhand!!!

And Jonny too!! we are a small clan of dedicated players and friends, we constantly get new players that play for a week or two, become members then never to be seen again..So thanks Jonny, atleast I know we are not the only clan this is happening to.

And yes Scarhand it is free which is absolutely amazing imo. I got into ET late, but mainly from nostalgia, I first played Wolfenstein and Beyond Wolfenstein many moons ago on my dads Apple 11!!!! Sssh I'm not old!!!!! Then wolf 3d!! But if I had to pay for it I probably would never gotten into but so gald I did!!!

Best gameplay ever, I have played quite a few FPS but this is the best for fun and the community...And soooooooo many maps!!! Every rotation I try to put a map I have never played before, there has got to be alot of gems out there that never get played because everyone just wants the 10-15 maps everyone knows!! I have found a few great ones too, a few bombs as well.

And as Shagileo said, after everything that has happened recently there is usually a fix with in a day or so, ET peeps Rock!!

Any ways my two cents!!

Shagileo
7-03-2012, 15:46
Any ways my two cents!!

Two cents well spend, sir

Shownie
7-03-2012, 17:02
About the free part, If the game would been what it was planed to be, new multiplayer expansion for RtCW I would have bought it. I also came in late, a real accident actually. I played RtCW and was google for images or smth, found some interesting ones which didn't look they came from RtCW. Soon I found out of the game Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. I was stuck since then :D

{WeB}*GANG$TA*
7-03-2012, 17:18
I've been playing WolfET since it started, before that I played Return to Castle Wolfenstein. They can brag all they want about new games and their graphics, but none of them can compete with the gameplay and teamplay of WolfET. Our Wolfenstein Community is also top class, second to none, from mod makers to map makers, Clans, websites, customised servers and fraggers, it's simply excellent.

We run ETPub on our server and we have our crazy bots too. Their levels are set to just one below the maximum and they are a nightmare to frag against, especially when the waypoints made for them are top quality. Some of those guys who make our waypoints are geniuses, imo. Our Clan is about 10 years old now and we love the game just as much now as we did when we started. Fraggin' while we're all using Ventrilo is a great laugh too, it's great to hear your Clan buddy go nuts when you just defused his dyna with 2 seconds to go on the map :D. I'll never play any other game, they simply cannot compare with WolfET :cool:.

Sambazon
31-03-2012, 17:12
I still play ET because the game is fun and the people that i play with are fun.

#SAS#TASIOR
1-04-2012, 13:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6qjBWDXHgM
thats why :D still love this game 7 yers omGGG

#SAS#TASIOR
1-04-2012, 13:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6qjBWDXHgM
thats why :D still love this game 7 yers omGGG